Hope you are doing great! Today I wanted to start a discussion about skincare and what products I’m currently using! Feel free to leave a comment or recommend a product and I’ll try it out and share with you in future posts!
So I wanted to start off with discussing my skin type. My skin changes from season to season, so my skin routine changes depending on the time of the year. Usually in the spring and summer, I have very oily skin. In winter and fall, my skin tends to dry out, to the point where I get very scaly looking skin and sometimes it even tends to peel a bit- gross!
Because my skin gets so oily in the summer weather, I usually have breakouts like crazy. Sometimes it feels like they never go away. Where I usually get my breakouts are in the my T- zone and around my chin and mouth. In the winter, I hardly break out. If I do, I notice it’s in a couple of spots and it’s usually during my time of the month.
During the winter months, my dry skin usually occurs anywhere outside my T- zone. During this time, my T- zone is not a problem. It’s not overly oily- sometimes it can actually be dry as well. This is the joy of living in Canada- dry air for days!
There’s a lot of good products that I use, but I have definitely had to test out a few over the years and try new things. Here’s my current list of products that I actively use:
For Face Wash:
– I use my Tea Tree Facial Wash from the body shop! This brand is great, because their not animal tested, and the Tea Tree feels like it’s actually working on my face. The face wash I use twice a day, almost everyday.
– The Rodan and Fields Micro- Dermabrasion Paste is my second go to. I use it like an exfoliator. When you buy this product, you are spending more money, however, it lasts a very long time. You only need the tiniest bit of the paste for it to do it’s job. It
dries out and smooths out any pimples or blackouts on my face. I’ve also been using it on my Keratosis Pilaris- those red bumps you sometimes get on your arm. People comment on my arms all the time because it’s so bad and red. Usually they think I have a sun burn, but actually I have a bunch of little red bumps on my arm. So far, the paste has toned that down BIG TIME. I’m hoping it completely clears up, and I can show you the results! So I use this twice a week and on my arms, I use it twice a day. Usually around my period, I break out even more, so I’ll use it every second day then. Exfoliators should not be used too much as they dry out your skin.
– I have one toner that I currently use. It’s also from the body shop and it’s called Seaweed. Toner is important to use because it closes those pours making it harder for dirt to get in. I use this after every face wash.
– Olay Toner. I love this toner so much. I switched up brands to try something new this time, but definitely try that toner as well. I just found that I could feel it working because it would be cool on my skin and make it tingle. It’s a good toner and it is affordable as well!
– Currently, I have 3 different kinds of lotions I use. Clean and Clear, is a very gentle, hydrating lotion, and is affordable. It feels very light on your face, whereas sometimes lotions can be heavy and smelly. It doesn’t have too much of a scent which is nice. I use it twice a day or more depending on how dry my skin is in winter
– Olay– This one does feel a little bit heavier, but I do love it! I have used this product for years and feel like it does it’s job well! Again, it’s affordable and there is a little bit of a scent to it.
– Sleepy– I love this lotion for bedtime! I talk about it all of the time! It puts me to sleep in 15 mins. It’s a strong lavender scent. Surprisingly it does not smell too flowery, but actually more so sweet! I use this for bed.
As a side note. I tend to use way less lotion in summer, and I will increase my exfoliator uses as well! Summer, it’s easy for me to get oily skin, so I tend to avoid lotions as much or put a very small amount on. I will use more hydrating masks instead!
Face Masks (My favourite!): Before we get into it, I use face masks 1-2 times a week. Sundays I make a day for myself for a few hours and do face masks, hair masks, the whole works (more in future posts!). It is truly a day for myself to relax and get ready for the next week!
– The Body Shop- Tea Tree Clay Mask. I love this mask, it’s basically my face wash, but in mask form. It’s cool to the skin and tingly, it just feels like it’s working wonders on my skin! This is just a skin clearing mask, and I use it a lot to deal with break outs
– Lush- Mask of Magnanimity. This is a great refreshing/ waking up face mask. It’s got coffee in it, so caffeinated skin! Just kidding, but I love the refreshed feeling I get from using it. It is a little bit thicker, just so you know, but my skin feels cleansed and refreshed after!
– Rodan and Fields- Redefine. This is just a daily cleansing mask. It is very good. I use it to just cleanse my face when my face is clear. It’s just insurance that my face is getting cleansed and is ready for the day. I would use this everyday if I had time. I love it.
– Sephora- purple clay mask.So the purple clay mask is the moisturizing! I just started to use this, and I love it! It’s great for winter, when my face is very dry and like I said, in summer I’ll use moisturizing masks to replace some lotions. My skin feels rejuvenated after each use!
The last product I use at night is Rodan and Fields Lash Boost! I LOVE this stuff! I just put it on like I’m putting on eyeliner and it helps your lashes grow. I have noticed a difference since I have started using it.
Alright! That’s my list for now! If you guys have any comments, questions or concerns- let me know! I do appreciate recommendations- especially for a good hydrating serum!