I hope you are enjoying the new layout of the blog as much as I am! I have had so much fun rearranging the blog, and coming up with more intriguing topics. It’s amazing to me to see the growth of the blog since May! I feel like it gets more and more mature each time! Very exciting. I think it’s also worth noting that the photography for the page is all my own! I have recently found this new love for photography and I love to show you guys my work! All the pictures are from my trip to Italy and all from Rome actually!
So anyways, today I wanted to talk a bit about starting a routine! Routines have ALWAYS been hard for me. I have always worked such strange hours and on top of that, I used to have to fit homework in whenever I could. There’s so much I want to fit into my day now that I have time, but it’s still hard for me to get it all done, because I have never been used to having a good schedule. I find that because my shifts aren’t consistently on the same days, I overbook myself with shifts. I end up working WAY too much. This means that I eat whenever I have time to, sleep whenever I’m able, and skip important things like exercise because I do not have time.
So I have a new goal, and before New Years(as a side note, you don’t have to wait for New Years to start a new goal)! I am working on those healthy routines!
My biggest problem has always been Sleep. I NEVER get enough sleep! I am 100% night owl, and 0% early bird riser. This is my first change to my routine. Getting enough sleep is super important and I never get enough of it. I hate to confess to the time that I normally go to bed, but with insomnia it can range. So sometimes 12- 1am on a non- insomnia day, and on an insomnia day 2-3 am. Yuck, right. I sleep in, but still that’s not a lot of hours and regardless, leaves me A- basically no day and B-feeling fatigued throughout the day.
Alright, so here’s one of my goals for the remainder of this year and for next year: Have a healthier Lifestyle. So part of that big goal is to get 8 hours of sleep.
In order to achieve that here is my baby steps to achieve the greater goal!
- Go to bed before midnight- I would like to aim for 10! I find at night I get distracted by a good book, or a Tv series! My plan for this is to get rid of watching Tv before bed, if my book is too addicting, maybe I can switch to a puzzle or something! Also, my phone has an alarm you can set, to let you know when it’s time for bed and when to wake up! If you have an Iphone go into the clock function and tap on bedtime! You can change the times you want to sleep and get up to get a good sleep! For now, I put 9 hours of sleep!
- Wake up in the morning (in the single digits!)- I suck at this. I am the kind of person who sets an alarm at 7:00, 7:05, 7:10, 7:15… I think my goal for this is to go to bed early and sleep in the first couple of nights to catch up. Then from there, I’ll change my alarm to a little bit earlier every day to get the desired time (I’m thinking around 7).
So I also have some other sleep aid items that might help you as well!
- Sleepy from Lush– Oh my god guys. This stuff smells beautiful and actually works! So I would say that it knocks me out in 15 mins when I use it. I will put big purple spots to intensify the smell. I’ve heard you can also get it in a bath bomb (Twilight), but for me the lotion is something I can use everyday!
- Humidifier and Essential Oils- My true intention was to have a humidifier in my bedroom, because I find my skin is very dry in the winter, so I bought one that also
functions as an oil diffuser! I absolutely love it! The smells relax me- Lavendar I can use to help with sleep and peppermint is very good for colds. There are a variety in the package I bought. Both are from Amazon, and here are the links:
Humidifier: Amazon- $34.99
Essential Oils: Amazon- $25.95
- Jersey Sheets– I love my Jersey Sheets! I find that if you are the kind of person that gets hot a lot, these sheets help big time! They definitely feel cooler. Here’s where I got mine!
- TEA! I do drink lots of tea! My family usually has a cup a night! I usually stick with a nice, light tea before bed, which I will continue to help as a sleep aid! Here’s my favourite kinds before bed: Mighty Leaf Tea– The one I normally drink is a combination of peppermint, and dandelion root (which is good for digestion). If you’re worried about tasting dandelions, don’t worry the peppermint masks it. I’ll also drink Organic North African Mint Tea from David’s tea
- Before Bed, I plan on having an hour of no screen time. As I said before, my phone will notify me when its time for bed. But here is a suggestion of activities to do before bed, especially if you’re beginning to feel anxious about the next day:
- My Fitbit- this is perfect for tracking your sleep. It will track your heart rate and tell you if you had a restless night or not! It also tells you when to go to bed and you can set your morning alarms on the app. It will wake you up by vibrating on your wrist! I have a Fitbit Blaze– click the link for more information!
Thanks for Checking out my post today! Hopefully these suggestions help you as well! Have any recommendations or comments?! Respond below!
– Erin xo